Thursday, February 4, 2010

Donyale Luna


Peggy Anne Freeman was born in Detroit, Michigan on January 1, 1945. She was an outsider and often described as living in a wonderland. She acheived success on January 1965, with a sketch of herself appearing on the cover of Harper's Bazaar. After that, she became the first African American model to appear on the cover of British Vogue(March 1966).Luna was also one of the first of African American women to appear in a nude photo layout in Playboy(April 1975). During the late 1960s and early 1970s, Luna appeared in several films in which some were produced by the famed Andy Warhol. Also noted for not revealing her true ethnic origin, Luna was sincere about equal human rights. Though very successful, Luna was a known LSD user and was quoted as saying"I think it's great. I learned that I like to live, I like to make love, I really do love somebody, I love flowers, I love the sky, I like bright colors, I like animals. [LSD] also showed me unhappy things -- that I was stubborn, selfish, unreasonable, mean, that I hurt other people." After only 34 years of life, Donyale Luna died in Rome, Italy in a clinic after an accidental drug overdose. Ms. Luna will forever be remembered as one of the few women of color that made it possible for the Naomi's and the Tyra's and Chanel's of today.

Donyale Luna, pioneer of fashion and editorial for women of color.



">

No comments:

Post a Comment